Just off the road from Port Moresby at the southern end of the Kokoda track is Bomana, the largest war cemetery in the Pacific. There are 3069 known and 237 unknown Australians from the fighting in New Guinea together with 443 Allied soldiers sailors and airmen.
This war cemetery lies 19 kilometres north of Port Moresby. Bomana was established in 1942 by the Australian Army and is the only Papua New Guinea cemetery to contain white marble headstones and a Stone of Remembrance. Over the next several years those who had been temporarily buried elsewhere in New Guinea, or in other cemeteries around Port Moresby, were re-interred at Bomana.
Those who died fighting in Papua and Bougainville are buried in the Port Moresby (Bomana) War Cemetery. Among the 3821 burials are the remains of 702 unidentified Allied soldiers sailors and airmen.
On gently rising ground above the graves is the Cross of Sacrifice. A rotunda of cylindrical pillars stands on a hill above the cemetery. These pillars comprise the Memorial to the Missing, commemorating 740 men of the Australian Army (including Papua and New Guinea local forces), the Australian Merchant Navy and the Royal Australian Air Force who lost their lives in operations in Papua and who have no known grave.
|The Port Moresby Memorial
|Cross of Sacrifice